Sunday 24 August 2014

First impressions!

So much has happened in the last week, it's mad. So I managed to get on the train and say goodbye to my fam, it was bloody difficult but I know (hope) it'll get easier over time! I was so lucky at the airport and managed to get away with 2 bags which weighed like 40 kilos when I was meant to have one weighing 23 kilos woo! Anyway yeah, the flight was better than expected, I watched the Lego movie then slept the rest of the way, despite the horrendous turbulence leading up to Brazil. 


The hostel we stayed in for the first few nights in Lima is lovely, and it meant all 8 girls got to spend some time together before going to our projects. We got a minibus there and the roads are crazyyyyyyy- I mean I've seen worse but they are far from the civilised roads back in the UK! 


I had a bit of a blonde moment and tried to pay 108 soles for chips and a drink, that being around £25, but thankfully they laughed and explained it was 10.08 soles, not the best way to start the year I must say... 

Our morning flight to Trujillo was cancelled so we had to get one that night instead, because of this the airport paid for our taxi transfers, a room in the Sheraton and meals that day, plus $150 on flights anywhere with that airline, what madness. It was such a luxurious day which would be the total opposite of the next day!! 



Arriving in Trujillo was the complete opposite of arriving in Lima, there was so much free land around and the runway was literally just on the sea front! Anyway we arrived in the Aldea and slept in casa ocho (house eight) with the children there. We thought this was just for a night however the next morning they moved us to casa dos, this being when we found out we don't have a house...
We were told there was a house just for volunteers, however they are building new houses which will be ready at some point at the start of September, due to this we have to live in a house with the tias and children till then. This involves sharing a room with a girl called Alhondra who is lovely. 

However it also means living out of our suitcases and I have to stay on the top bunk which I must say is a bit of a challenge. In addition to this fact there is no privacy whatsoever... But I can't complain as these people have welcomed us into their home with open arms, something which I am truly grateful for. 

I've only slept in the Aldea for two nights but it already feels like weeks. The children are so loving and happy, I don't know how I'm going to say goodbye when it comes to leaving. It'll be like saying goodbye to my family again, except this time knowing it'll be the last goodbye. 





There is a one year old baby called Jandy who is the most beautiful baby girl I've ever seen. 

The language barrier is more funny than anything, the Tia's and children laugh at us A LOT, but we will get there eventually I'm sure :) 

On a negative note I was sick on day two at the Aldea, but thankfully it didn't stop me from doing anything. Sometimes it feels like I'm causing more trouble with the kids by laughing too much instead of helping, but other days  it's different. I spent yesterday morning helping an older boy with his English, however I didn't know a lot of the words in Spanish Hahaa, but still I felt useful. 

I have had bouts of homesickness throughout the week, on the odd occasion I have had time to think, but that's to be expected. I just didn't think I would struggle as much, but I guess this year is all about growing as a person, and this will most certainly help me grow in the long run. 


So yeah, I've spent today in the city and it's beautiful, like I think it's one of the most picturesque places I've ever seen. We had a local lunch and there was so much food for £4 Hahaa, and a local man came and eat with us- everyone is just crazy friendly. It just wouldn't happen back in the UK. I've managed to get internet and call home which was amazing. I just can't believe I'm here and this is real life. 

I don't really know what to say, I realise I've blabbed loads but I think my family will appreciate the stories haha! Missing everyone but having the most amazing time! 





No comments:

Post a Comment